Saturday 30 November 2013

Keshi hails talented Mikel, Moses

Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi says Mikel Obi and Victor Moses have not only showed talent but commitment to the national team.

After helping Nigeria win the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations in South Africa in February, the duo played prominent roles in the country’s World Cup qualification this month.

And Keshi has declared that Chelsea midfielder Mikel and Liverpool forward Moses deserve credit for their efforts.

The former Eagles captain believes the players will emerge as some of the stars of Brazil 2014 World Cup finals.

“Moses is a talented youngster and has been giving his total commitment when he comes to play for Nigeria, but I believe that he has only given us 80 per cent. We hope he will give 100 per cent at the World Cup,” Keshi was quoted by MTNFootball.com as saying during the week.

“He is still young, but he can do better for the Super Eagles.

“For Mikel, I am happy that gradually the world is recognising his talents which he has been showing any time he plays in the national team.

“I salute him and I am proud of his achievement, but I must also say it’s just the beginning of greater things to come for all the players in the national team.”

Mikel and Moses were on Tuesday named the Sports Man of the Year and Nigerian Footballer of the Year awards respectively at the Nigerian Sports Awards in Lagos.

They have also been shortlisted along with goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama, Emmanuel Emenike, Sunday Mba and Ahmed Musa for the 2013 African Player of the Year award.

“Proud and honoured to win the Nigerian Footballer of the Year award for 2013. It’s a dream come true to play for my country so thank you everyone,” Moses said on his Twitter page after winning the Nigerian Footballer of the Year award.

Meanwhile, Moses insists he needs to be playing more at Liverpool if the Premier League club want to see the best of him.

“The main thing is to be on the pitch and enjoy my football,” he told the Daily Mirror during the week.

“That’s always been on my mind – to play games.

“There was only a little spell at Wigan, when I first signed there, when I wasn’t in the team every week.

“I’ve always gone to places for the football – places where I’m going to play. By playing, you learn.”

“I’ve always gone to places for the football – places where I’m going to play. By playing, you learn.

“It may seem I’ve been around for a long time, but I’m still only 22. I think I can develop a lot more, but I realise to achieve that I’ve got to play as much as possible.”

No comments: